The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is a public-private partnership that operates the WAPlanfinder mobile app and Washington Healthplanfinder, the eligibility and enrollment portal used by one in four Washington residents to obtain health and dental coverage. Through Washington Healthplanfinder, individuals and families can compare and enroll in health insurance coverage and gain access to financial help and public programs like Washington Apple Health.
The mission of the Exchange, a state-based marketplace, is to radically improve how Washington residents secure health insurance through innovative and practical solutions, an easy-to-use customer experience, our values of integrity, respect, equity and transparency, and by providing undeniable value to the health care community.
The Exchange is also committed to identify and reach groups at risk for obstacles to access coverage, which includes supporting those who need assistance overcoming barriers to seek, find, and use their health insurance coverage. Specifically, the Exchange is embracing the following equity statement:
Equity is a fundamental pillar to the society we seek to build. The process of advancing toward equity will be disruptive and demands vigilance, dismantling deeply entrenched systems of privilege and oppression. We must focus our efforts on people and places where needs are greatest, especially communities of color, and go beyond remedying a particular inequity to address all determinants of health.
Our goal is that all Washingtonians have full and equal access to opportunities, power and resources to achieve their full potential.
The Cloud Infrastructure and Technology Architect leads the research, design, architecture, and system strategy for backend physical and cloud technologies and works with other architects to develop implementation plans, standards and long-term technology directions. The position must establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels in the HBE, state agencies, vendors, agents, and others as needed.
The position provides expert-level leadership in the areas of system architecture, design, and interfaces and provides architectural leadership in designing technology solutions that meet the organizational objectives and are technically sound.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Technology Expertise
- Suggests cloud and system design improvements to the HealthPlanFinder (HPF) and other HBE technologies.
- Researches technology trends and investigate capabilities
- Looks at emerging and current Cloud technologies for use at HBE
- Builds proof of concept environments with working solutions
- Develops standards for IT around systems, technology, and infrastructure
- Acts as the subject matter expert for Cloud Infrastructure and Technologies architecture
- Research, test and develop solutions and concepts for the organization’s engineers, documenting and creating architectural artifacts and presenting solutions to architecture groups and the enterprise solutions committee.
- Builds and manages the IT Product and Technology Portfolio and roadmaps
- Tracks and maintains all system and software support and end of life dates
- Leads IT Process Efficiency Improvement
- Acts as Expert for Technology and Infrastructure Systems
- Designs and Implements New Technologies and Systems
- Maintains a Technology Portfolio
- Develops Service Design mappings and documentation on all major HBE services
- Documents cloud systems, technology, and services
- Coordinates events and activities with business stakeholders and technical personnel to facilitate identification and documentation of business requirements against IT architectural standards to deliver IT solutions.
- Creates technical network maps
- Creates system design diagrams
- Creates and maintains technology roadmaps for all services and technologies
- Coordinates and leads root cause analysis and remediation on high level strategic system and technology issues.
- Creates baselines and standards based on expertise, best practices, regulatory and policy needs.
- Technical Management Strategy
- Works closely with other groups in IT and other areas to assist with the selection and evaluation of technology solutions.
- Develops and implements IT technology strategy for the Cloud Infrastructure and Technology based on federal compliances and system needs.
- Prioritizes architectural activities based on business needs
- Measures the resulting business value against architectural strategies
- Researches, develop, and implement new technologies in the Cloud
- Technical Standards
- Drives the adoption of IT Industry Best Practices and Standards
- Champions the Commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) solution usage
- Promotes Reuse of Solutions
- Develops and keeps up to date Technology standards
- Maps security and regulatory requirements to functional solutions
- Works closely with the HPF vendor and hosting provider to communicate changes and system wide problems, representing HBE around IT Infrastructure strategy and technology planning, helping coordinate any infrastructure-related activities with other HPF external business partners.
- Analyzes and resolves complex business and/or technical problems within assigned discipline.
- Functions as a consultant for the HPF infrastructure architecture designs, plans and direction.
- Manages vendor resources in the operations and maintenance of the HPF system.
- Assists with the development and documentation of processes and procedures for implementing and maintaining the core system and server infrastructure.
- Uses industry best practices, regulatory requirements and policies to create standards and configuration baselines.
- Analyzes and resolves complex business and/or technical problems within assigned discipline.
- Works with third party vendor and partners to notify and alert all relevant stakeholders when issues and outages are identified during key business hours.
- Provide consulting support to supporting architects within projects to ensure the project is aligned with the overall enterprise architecture.
- Design and direct the governance activities associated with ensuring solutions architecture assurance and compliance.
- Creates and maintains moderately complex scripts, script components and applets/small applications. Makes recommendations to other engineers for changes to existing scripting standards.
- Ensures timely, accurate, and quality execution of all deliverables.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in information technology, computer science, or technology related field AND five years of progressive experience in an advanced engineering role.
- Note: Qualifying experience may substitute year for year for education
- At least four years of enterprise infrastructure administration experience to include:
- Experience with cloud-based solutions using IAAS, PAAS or SAAS on a large-scale cloud provider (AWS, Azure, etc.).
- Experience with research and development of new technologies and systems.
- Experience with SOA and environment separated system designs based on technology and activities.
- Experience with systems and technology architecture and engineering.
- Experience with large enterprise infrastructure projects and modernization.
- Experience with meeting and implementing regulatory, security and policy requirements.
- At least three years of application support using IIS, Apache or similar web server/hosting products.
- Experience with deploying virtualization platforms for server deployment (Hyper-V, VMware, etc.).
- Strong advanced troubleshooting skills with the ability to analyze logs, systems changes, and system health for root cause.
- Experience developing and documenting business processes and workflows.
- Experience with Database technologies and general understanding of object-oriented coding.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong client-service orientation.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow-through on issues in a timely manner.
- Motivated self-starter with initiative to take independent action and accept responsibility for your actions.
- Creatively and proactively problem solve; must possess the ability to make independent decisions and judgments about work priorities.
- Well organized, flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient with strong attention to detail
- Experience with modular system designs
- Experience with microservices and containers
- Experience with enterprise logging and monitoring tools and systems.
- Experience with road mapping and architectural tools and systems.
- Experience with TOGAF architectural standards.
- TOGAF, ITIL, Microsoft, Cisco, AWS or other industry recognized certifications.
- Experience in the government and/or health care fields with exposure to marketing, public relations, public affairs or closely allied disciplines.
This position will be open until we find a suitable number of candidates to review. If interested, please submit an application as soon as possible. The Exchange reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time.
The posted salary is the new hire range of consideration. Full salary range is from $95,604.00 – $143,426.00. Offer will depend on qualifications.
Core business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Travel requirements will be limited to local travel, however there may be occasions were an employee is required to travel and work irregular hours to attend meetings or trainings. Duties of this position require the use of standard office furniture and equipment (e.g. desk, filing cabinet, computer, printer, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, etc.).
The working conditions and physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A criminal background screen will be conducted for candidates under final consideration, and if hired, every five years of employment where highly sensitive data is processed or maintained by the position. The result of this background screen must meet the Exchange’s eligibility standards.
A criminal background screen will be conducted for candidates under final consideration, and if hired, every five years of employment where highly sensitive data is processed or maintained by the position. The incumbent in this role will also be required to complete a federal fingerprint background check. The results of these background screens must meet the Exchange’s eligibility standards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.
This is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is an . All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
We participate in . You can view the Department of Justice’s Right to Work poster .
Washington Health Benefit Exchange