Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota invites applications for the full-time, twelve-month position of Director of Student Life.
The Director of Student Life works with the entire student life staff to facilitate and support the student life experience for all students at DWU. While overseeing the entire Student Life Department, the Director works with student life staff and other college employees (i.e., faculty and staff members) to create and implement opportunities for co-curricular learning and student growth and development particularly in the areas of leadership, faith, and service. The Director works with the provost and/or other appropriate faculty and staff members assess this learning and evaluate these efforts. The Director also oversees and coordinates a variety of activities and efforts focused on student retention and engagement. The Director serves as a student advocate by responding directly to student needs and issues affecting student well-being.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., student affairs, education).
- Have relevant, successful, professional experience working in a student life office at the collegiate level.
- Have experience dealing successfully with a range of crises and challenges that are common among college age students.
- Have knowledge and experience dealing successfully with Title IX policy and procedures.
- Have knowledge and experience dealing successfully with student disciplinary policy and procedures.
- Have significant, successful supervisory experience.
- Have strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Have the ability to deal diplomatically with a range of campus constituencies (e.g., faculty, athletic coaches, academic support staff, and physical plant workers).
- Have taught successfully, preferably at the college level, or have comparable communication experience that promises to translate effectively into the teaching environment.
- Have experience assessing growth and learning that takes place in non-traditional learning environments.
- Be comfortable with, or willing to learn, the use of digital technologies to enhance student engagement and learning.
Applications for the position should include a letter of interest detailing the candidate’s qualifications for and interest in the position, a curriculum vitae (or resume), and the names and contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses) of four professional references. Original transcripts and background check will be required before the university makes an appointment.
Dakota Wesleyan University (DWU) is a private, comprehensive university affiliated with the United Methodist Church granting both bachelors and master’s degrees. The University’s mission is to provide a transformative learning experience that cultivates enduring intellectual growth, ethically grounded leadership, intentional faith exploration, and meaningful service. The University serves approximately 1,000 students from across the nation and around the world, including a significant number of first-generation students from the Great Plains region. Under the leadership of President Amy Novak (now in her eighth year), Dakota Wesleyan’s profile is on the rise both regionally and nationally. U.S. News and World Report recently ranked Dakota Wesleyan as best value school in the Midwest and as one of the best regional colleges in the Midwest. In the past decade, university donors have made possible a new health science center; a black box theater and alumni welcome center; a 90,000 sq ft sport and wellness complex; a new residence hall; and—opening in the fall of 2021—the new School of Business, Innovation and Leadership. In 2018, Dakota Wesleyan introduced its Digital DWU initiative. This initiative focuses on creating learning opportunities for students that will prepare them to succeed in the digital world they will enter upon graduation. The initiative provides all students with iPads and supports faculty in utilizing technology to create a more engaging and inclusive educational experience for all students.
DWU is located in Mitchell, South Dakota, a town of 14,000, nestled in the heart of one of the country’s finest outdoor recreation areas. Mitchell is the sixth largest city in South Dakota and home to the world’s only Corn Palace. The University is within an hour’s drive of Sioux Falls, one of the Upper Midwest’s largest statistical metropolitan areas. It is within a six-hour drive of several major metropolitan areas (Omaha, NB; Minneapolis, MN; Kansas City, MO).
Dakota Wesleyan reserves the right to modify all job postings and job descriptions.
Dakota Wesleyan is an Equal Opportunity Employer welcoming and encouraging applications from members of underrepresented groups. DWU is a tobacco free campus.